You are here:
Religious Pilgrimage Routes and Trails
Sustainable Development and Management
Edited by: Daniel H Olsen, Brigham Young University, USA, Anna Trono, University of Salento, Italy
May 2018 | Hardback | 280 Pages | 9781786390271
May 2018 | ePDF 9781786390288 | ePub 9781786390295
£46.15 | €51.25 | $61.50
£46.15 | €51.25 | $61.50
DescriptionFor millennia people have travelled to religious sites for worship, initiatory and leisure purposes. Today there are hundreds, if not thousands, of religious pilgrimage routes and trails around the world that are used by pilgrims as well as tourists. Indeed, many religious pilgrimage routes and trails are today used as themes by tourism marketers in an effort to promote regional economic development.
Providing a holistic approach to religious pilgrimage routes and trails, this book:
- Addresses important conceptual themes such as sustainable local development, regional economic development, heritage identity and management, and promoting environmentally friendly practices;
- Includes global case studies to help transfer theory into good practice;
- Calls for further discussion of the importance of better planning, management, and maintenance of these routes and trails, so that the positive benefits of this type of tourism development can be fully realized.
An important resource for those interested in religious tourism and pilgrimage, this book is also an invaluable collection for academics and policy-makers within heritage tourism and regional development.
Table of contents
- Part I: Tourism and Pilgrimage: Theories and Methods
- 1: Pilgrimage Trails and Routes: The Journey from the Past to the Present
- 2: Religious Pilgrimage Routes and Trails as Driving Forces for Sustainable Local Development
- 3: Cultural Routes: Tourist Destinations and Tools for Development
- 4: The Role of Heritage Tourism in the Management and Promotion of Pilgrimage Trails and Routes
- 5: Environment and Sustainability as Related to Religious Pilgrimage Routes and Trails
- Part II: Regional Case Studies
- 6: The European Cultural Route of Saint Martin of Tours
- 7: The Camino de Santiago de Compostela: The Most Important Historic Pilgrimage Way in Europe
- 8: The Holy Grail Route: Mystic Routes and Activities to Improve Local Tourism
- 9: Religious Pilgrimage Routes in the Baltic Countries: History and Perspectives
- 10: Experiencing Religious Pilgrimage in Malta
- 11: Pilgrimage Routes from Central Europe and Scandinavia towards Jerusalem and Santiago de Compostela
- 12: The Ways to Jerusalem: Maritime, Cultural and Pilgrimage Routes
- 13: Palkhi: A Moving Sacred Town
- 14: Kashi and Cosmos, India: The Pilgrimage Circuit of the Panchakroshi Yatra
- 15: Pilgrimage to Mount Bromo, Indonesia
- 16: The Shikoku Pilgrimage: Popularity and the Pilgrim’s Transaction
- 17: Challenges Facing the Sustainable Development of Slave Trade Routes and Trails in Cameroon
- 18: The Talpa de Allende Pilgrimage Trail
- 19: Pilgrimage and Identity along the Mormon Trail
- Part III: Conclusion
- 20: Pilgrimage Trails and Routes: Journeys from the Present to the Future
- 21: Discussion Points
ReadershipSuitable for academics and students of religious tourism, heritage tourism and regional development.
Have you read this book, or used it for one of your courses? We would love to hear your feedback. Email our reviews team to submit a review.
Dr Daniel H. Olsen is an Associate Professor in the Department of Geography at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, USA. His research interests revolve around religious and spiritual tourism, heritage tourism, and the management of sacred sites, with secondary research interests in tourism in peripheral areas and tourism and disabilities. He is co-editor of Religion, Tourism, and Spiritual Journeys (Routledge, 2006) and Religious Pilgrimage Routes and Trails (CABI, 2018), and has published over 40 journal articles and book chapters.
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|